2. The NCAA Division I Women's Soccer tournament starts tomorrow and the Huskies are well represented with Connecticut, Northeastern, and Washington all making the Big Dance. Which school received their nickname first?
3. Speaking of nicknames, the NCAA committee missed out on a great opportunity for headlines by not having the Buffalo Bulls playing the Colorado Buffaloes.
4. Roy Keane makes the headlines for the wrong reasons. Some things never change.
5. Down to the final four in MLS Playoffs, with the LA Galaxy playing the Seattle Sounders while New England Revolution will play against the New York Red Bulls in two-legged conference finals. Sticking with my pre-playoff pick of Galaxy vs Revolution in MLS Final.
6. Zlatan. Costa. James. RVP. Cahill. None of them deserve to win the Puskas Award - FIFA Goal of the Year. Instead vote for Stephanie Roche of Ireland.
7. Is there a better story in American soccer right now than Lee Nguyen? Washed out at PSV after only making two apperances in two seasons, his only option to find games was in the Vietnamese League. He then returns to America and is picked up by the Vancouver Whitecaps, only to be waived in his first preseason with the club. Three years later, he is called into USMNT camp after scoring 18 goals for the New England Revolution, the most of any midfielder in the league.
9. Have you played on a co-ed soccer team? Then you'll enjoy this, "Travis and Stephanie, I've been waiting all season for your off-field romance to produce some midfield chemistry. If your combination play so far is anything to go by, perhaps you should be asking yourselves where this relationship is really headed."
10. Washington was first named the Huskies in 1923, followed by Northeastern in 1927 and the Connecticut Huskies in 1934.
11. The New York Cosmos didn't just sign the Raul that was playing for Real Madrid. No, they signed the Raul that is 37 years old and stopped playing in La Liga in 2010. Couldn't his salary be better used for signing young American players that badly need professional minutes instead of not making it onto a game-day roster in MLS?
12. Landon Donvoan is still one of the top three players in MLS today. Can someone remind me again why Jurgen didn't take him to Brazil? Oh, and Robbie Keane aint too shabby either.
13. Ireland (with the two best Scottish footballers playing for the Boys in Green) will take three points in Celtic Park against Scotland tonight.
14. The USMNT heads to Dublin on Tuesday evening to take on Ireland in the last friendly of the year. The craic will be mighty.